Gem Hospital and IVF centre Punjab: Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a hormonal disorder that gets triggered among women at the reproductive age. This problem affects around 5 to 10 % of the population. Women dealing with this condition will have a problem with the menstrual cycle or the male hormonal level increases. The problem is that the egg does not get released as the ovaries start developing the number of fluids. The classic symptom of this condition area male pattern hair growth (hirsutism), obesity, and chronic ovulation dysfunction.
Condition of PCOS
- Polycystic ovary syndrome happens because of hormonal imbalance which begins with the hypersensitivity of the pituitary to GnRH.This increases the LH secretion which results in increasing the production of ovarian androgen.
- Consequently, FSH production gets affected which prevents ovulation and follicle development. This can also increase the risk of endometrial hyperplasia and cancer chances also increase.
- The condition is diagnosed in women who did not have menstrual cycles for more than 35 days, obesity, elevated testosterone, and acne. However, the symptoms might not be the same for every woman and there is controversy regarding its definition and diagnosis process.
- New criteria include signs like excessive hair growth or acne, ovulation dysfunction, and polycystic appearing ovaries on ultrasound.
- Clinical representation includes Infertility, obesity, hyperandrogenism, abnormal uterine bleeding with the risk of endometrial hyperplasia, cholesterol, blood pressure, and waist circumference.
In case you are trying to conceive but this condition is making it difficult for you then you should seek help from a fertility doctor. Unable to find the best fertility doctor for the reliable treatment plan then you should visit our Test tube baby Center in Punjab and consult everything regarding your problem.
- During the evaluation the measurement of prolactin, morning 17alpha hydroxyprogesterone, and thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH).
- Irrespective of age, women who did not have a menstrual cycle for more than 3 months or the endometrial thickness with more or equal than 7mm need to get an endometrial biopsy to identify the risk of hyperplasia. Insulin resistance can be best to be evaluated with the 2-hours GTT ( glucose tolerance test).
Managing the condition
Women facing this condition are recommended to lose weight, maintain the diet and start exercising.
Another choice is to opt for oral contraceptive pills is a low dose which helps in regulating the menstrual cycle and provide contraception. The medication clomiphene is helpful in ovulation induction. Along with that other options are available like aromatase, letrozole but it results in a negative effect on endometrial proliferation.